Chronic Pain and Symptom Management, 3 CE
Chronic Pain and Symptom Management, Massage Continuing Education
The “Chronic Pain and Symptom Management” 3 CE, NCBTMB approved massage continuing education course will focus on the challenges people face who are experiencing long-term pain and how massage therapy can help.
Chronic pain is not only challenging for the person experiencing it, but for family members, physicians, and health care providers as well. A number of treatments and adjunct therapies are available that can help manage chronic pain conditions caused by traumatic injuries, illness, autoimmune conditions, as well as disease processes but for many, there is no cure. However, throughout this course, it is important for the massage or bodywork professional to understand that pain – especially chronic pain – has different implications for different people. You’ll find that signs, symptoms, pain severity, recovery times, etc. will vary due to a number of seemingly endless factors such as injury onset, age, re-injury, overall general health, initial and long-term care, emotional states…specific client issues can go on and on.
Throughout this course, you will not only learn about different types of pain and multiple massage therapies and techniques to help relieve it, you will also learn how pain not only affects the body, but the psyche – the spirit and the soul of the person dealing with it. For many, chronic pain causes severe emotional and social issues.
The massage therapist is also cautioned against making assumptions about a person’s pain complaints. Pain is subjective. Pain sensations, severity, and perceptions of pain are unique to every individual. What triggers pain in your own body may not hurt someone else or vice versa. Pain cannot be measured, tested, photographed, or otherwise documented on film, x-ray, or the latest in digital technology.
For this reason, the massage professional must always listen carefully to the client when it comes to techniques utilized to help relieve pain, stiffness, and discomfort. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke has researched and tested patients dealing with chronic pain. They have discovered that those experiencing chronic pain may have decreased endorphin* levels in their spinal fluid. (Endorphins are chemicals produced by the body to relieve stress and pain)
Dealing with a client or patient experiencing chronic pain that can last months or a lifetime can be – and often is – intimidating for physicians, health care team providers, and massage therapists, regardless of training and experience. Chronic pain is serious, as seen by the number of professional associations that attempt to help those experiencing it. These include but are not limited to:
The American Chronic Pain Association
Migraine Research Foundation
American Headache Society
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Over 5,000 clinical trials are currently underway in the United States – and throughout the world, focusing on chronic pain.
A person living with chronic pain can never anticipate if they will have a good day or a bad day. Some days are better than others. A person dealing with chronic pain might not necessarily deal with that pain at the same level of tolerance every day. For many, a person dealing with chronic pain may have a couple of good days in between a large number of bad ones. While professional healthcare providers, friends and family members typically want to help, many end up making suggestions that end up causing more frustration then benefits to the chronic pain patient.
If a massage therapist does not have the experience or training to treat injuries, the therapist can often make the situation worse.
- Students will have 3 opportunities to take the exam.
- The final exam questions are available for your review prior to the test. You may screenshot/take a photo of the questions so you have them available as you review the course. Write down your answers as you read through the course and then transfer them to the final exam.
- Important exam answer information is in BOLD throughout the course.
- Exam answers are multiple choice
- Certificate is emailed to you when you pass the exam with 70%
- Courses are pass/fail. No grades appear on your certification.
- Courses are available immediately
- All courses and certificates are available in your account for one year. Make sure to save your certifications. After 1 year, your account is no longer available.
- All courses are NCBTMB Approved (#450015-06)
- Massage CE Learning Tree has been a trusted massage continuing education provider for state and NCBTMB courses since 2015
- Courses are accepted by AMTA, ABMP and other national associations for massage license renewal
- View “State Requirements”, “Our Approvals” and “Instructions” on the top bar of the website or in the phone menu
- If this course is part of a “course bundle”, you may only complete a total of 12 CE’S in one calendar day. This information is available on your receipt of purchase and in the bundle description.
- Find a course or course bundle of interest
- Read the course description
- Add to cart/View the cart/Proceed to check out
- Fill out your billing details and student licensing information (student name, licensing number, renewal state). The student information must appear on the certificate in order to meet licensing renewal requirements. ONLY PURCHASE FOR ONE STUDENT AT A TIME. LOG OUT COMPLETELY FOR A NEW PURCHASE. EACH STUDENT REQUIRES THEIR OWN SEPARATE PURCHASE, DIFFERENT EMAIL ADDRESS AND THEIR OWN ACCOUNT.
- Check your certificate for this information. If you are missing information, see the Contact Us link on the top bar.
- Place order (there is a short delay as we build your account). Please wait while it processes. The screen will fade for a moment while all the processes complete.
- All courses are immediately available in your account
Navigating The Courses
- Once purchased, you will be redirect to “MY ACCOUNT”
- Scroll down and click directly on the course title
- MARK COMPLETE at the end of each lesson to progress through the course
- Complete the COURSE EVALUATION and progress to the exam
- Pass the exam with 70% and your certificate is emailed to you
- Return to “MY ACCOUNT” to take any additional courses purchased or LOG OUT
- LOG OUT and/or LOG IN at any point during your studies to continue on with your courses.
- Save each certificate as you complete the class. Your certificates and your account are available for one year.
All courses are completely online. Each course exam is graded instantly and, once you pass the multiple choice exam with 70%, your "Certificate of Completion" is immediately available for printing. All course information is available for one year from the date of purchase. The student has an unlimited number of opportunities to pass the exam.
Exams consist of either 5, 10 or 15 multiple choice questions. The exam may be downloaded and printed in advance for easier studying.
All of our courses have NCBTMB approval.