Currently, we understand Virginia to require the following:
24 CE hours every 2 years for license renewal
1 CE hour must be in ethics
24 CE hours can be taken via home study / online education
Virginia Massage Therapy Board is regulated through the Nursing Board and accepts NCBTMB CE Approved courses for VA massage licensing renewal. We are NCBTMB CE PROVIDERS #450015-06
VA Continuing competency requirements (taken from VA Website)
In order to renew a license biennially, a licensed massage therapist shall:
1. Hold current certification by the NCBTMB; or
2. Complete at least 24 hours of continuing education or learning activities with at least one hour in professional ethics. Hours chosen shall be those that enhance and expand the skills and knowledge related to the clinical practice of massage therapy and may be distributed as follows:
a. A minimum of 12 of the 24 hours shall be in activities or courses provided by one of the following providers and may include seminars, workshops, home study courses, and continuing education courses:
(2) Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards;
(3) American Massage Therapy Association;
(4) Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals;
(5) Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation;
(6) A nationally or regionally accredited school or program of massage therapy; or
(7) A school of massage therapy approved by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia.
b. No more than 12 of the 24 hours may be activities or courses that may include consultation, independent reading or research, preparation for a presentation, a course in cardiopulmonary resuscitation, or other such experiences that promote continued learning.
B. A massage therapist shall be exempt from the continuing competency requirements for the first biennial renewal following the date of initial licensure in Virginia.
C. The massage therapist shall retain in his records the completed form with all supporting documentation for a period of four years following the renewal of an active license.
D. The board shall periodically conduct a random audit of licensees to determine compliance. The persons selected for the audit shall provide evidence of current NCBTMB certification or the completed continued competency form provided by the board and all supporting documentation within 30 days of receiving notification of the audit.
Please visit the state licensing board to verify massage licensing renewal requirements or for further information.
Please note that all courses taken with Massage CE Learning Tree can be used for NCBTMB (National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork) recertification, NCBTMB Approved Provider #450015-06
Please note that massage therapy laws change frequently and vary from state to state. Although we try to provide the most accurate information available, ultimately it is the responsibility of the student to contact their state licensing bureau to verify massage continuing education requirements.